earlier this year, i wrote about the quandary of finding quality clothing at reasonable prices. several readers have written to ask for affordable fall essentials, so here are my picks for the season.
1. little black bouclé jacket // ever since i saw the portrait of SC from the Chanel Little Black Jacket exhibition, i've had a classic LBJ on my wishlist. thanks to the Carine x Uniqlo collab, we can all finally get one without forking over four figures.
2. lightweight down vest // i think Uniqlo's ultralight down collection is their best and most ingenious line. the vests are utterly featherweight, warm without being overwhelming, compact (they fold up into the little duffle bag for easy peasy travel), and come in a myriad of colors and prints. i wear the XS (i'm usually a US 0-2). it's perfectly fitted for a tailored look on its own, or layered under jackets and coats. a must-have in every wardrobe.
4. foldover leggings // i discovered these last winter, and have been living in them ever since. worth the extra cost over other cheaper leggings IMO because the jersey cotton feels like silk and washes/wears incredibly well. i throw mine in the dryer and it hasn't overstretched or bagged out at all.
5. silky merino cardigan // from who else – Everlane, of course. a timeless classic – now that the temperatures are dipping up and down, i find myself reaching for cardigans almost every day. this is perfect for office to weekend.
6. 'Yohji' sweatpants // i bought these last year, and they have become a travel essential and trusty all-around basic. they are the perfect inexpensive, stylish sweatpants with a Yohji-esque vibe.
7. minimalist sneakers (also here) // lightweight, amply cushioned, and incredibly comfortable for pretty much everything. these get my vote for #1 most chic sneakers. (i find that they run a little big, so size half down.)
8. striped breton shirt // easy to wear and layer and pair with everything else on this list. i like the cropped shape, it looks good tucked or untucked with a variety of denim and pant styles.
9. wool oversized cape/wrap scarf // the muji US online shop is down for the time being, but if you're near a store definitely scope this out. there are armholes for wearing this like a cape, and the wool is soft and cozy. love all the plaid options!
10. winterized slipons // i've said this before re TOMs, they're one of my favorite versatile flats. love this winterized version with cozy shearling lining! they remind of me of the limited edition Row collab from a few seasons ago.
what do you think? what are your favorite basics?